Check out our Apprenticeship program here!
This position requires at least three years of experience on a diverse, organic vegetable farm. The Crew Leader must be detail-oriented, conscientious, energetic and hardworking, physically fit and enjoy working cooperatively with the farm owners and apprentices. The applicant must be committed for the entire 8 month season from March to October and have great communication and leadership skills, as well as get along with a variety of personality types to enjoy the work we do and maintain speed with repetitive tasks.
The Crew Leader will be expected to work an average of 50 hours a week outside, lift heavy objects, and use hand tools and tractors regularly and have excellent and fast field skills. Attention to detail and quality control are critical. Customer service skills and computer skills with excel, word, and email list serves are also important. The primary responsibilities of the Crew Leader are planting, weeding, potting up, nursery management, harvesting, leading the team of apprentices, facilitating a successful farmers’ market stand, and record keeping.
go site Responsibilities:
- Lead 4-6 farm apprentices and occasional volunteers in safe and productive field work.
- Facilitate the organization and smooth functioning of all production aspects of the organic farm; look to increase efficiency and improve technology
- Work to ensure and improve employee safety & knowledge through trainings and good communication skills
- Administer Apprenticeship classes, food safety program and organic certification records
- Troubleshoot any in-field quality issues or deficiencies
- Monitor multiple gardens on daily basis; track soil health and water quality
- Degree in Agriculture or knowledge of and experience working in vegetable production (preferably experience with/ interest in organic), 3+ years
- Must have familiarity with a wide variety of vegetables, herbs, fruit trees, and nursery crops and a willingness to learn and expand working knowledge
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and excellent people management skills
- Have awareness of soil science, organic pest management, organic certification standards
- Ability to work independently; self-motivated, critical thinker/problem solver
- Standard computer skills
This position is for someone who has a positive outlook and enjoys working with new apprenticing farmers, who is dedicated, dependable, flexible, good-humored and genuinely interested in growing wholesome organic food on a diverse family farm. Compensation based on experience.
Please send resume, a letter of interest which is a short paragraph explaining your organic production management method and philosophy (anything you feel is not on your resume, but you would like us to know)